PARMA CENTRE, situated in the centre of the second section, was first settled by Roswell and Austin Atchinson. The first house was built by the latter, on the northeast corner, now the residence of R. P. Odell, Jr.
In 1829, Asa Peck built the first blacksmith and wagon-shop a few yards west of the Corners and sold it four years after to Charles Vesey. It is now owned by W. J. Dunn, who purchased it in 1855. Under his management it has been greatly extended, and a large stock of excellently-finished carriages are yearly manufactured and sold.
In 1830, Chauncy A. Knox, from Madison county, in company with M. L. Ross, erected the first store north of Parma Corners, on the southwest corner. In 1836 his store was burned and rebuilt the following year. It is now owned by Wm. H. Denniston. Mr. Knox was twelve years postmaster, and nineteen years town clerk, and has always been one of the most prominent, public-spirited, and popular men in the town. He is still living, and resides with his son-in-law, Rodney P. Odell, present supervisor and clerk.
In 1862 a second store was opened but closed seven years later. In 1868 the store now occupied by Sela Burritt was built.
History of Monroe County, New York; With Illustrations
Descriptive Of Its Scenery, Palatial Residences,
Public Buildings, Fine Blocks, and Important Manufactories
published by J. B. Lippincott & Co., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 1877