As soon as the Ridge road was opened in 1816, Samuel Hildreth & Co. established a daily line of stages between Rochester and Lewiston. The post-office of Parma was then opened, with a daily mail each way, and J. Thompson postmaster. Until the opening of the Erie canal, it was the distributing office for Ogden Centre, Adams' Basin, and, later, for Spencerport.
Levi Talmadge bought the line, and soon after sold it to Adams & Blynn, who held it until the completion of the canal, when it was discontinued. Two years previous, in consequence of the immense business, at times requiring three daily stages, an opposition line, known as the Anti-Sunday line, was established by Aristarchus Champion, which was also stopped.
A weekly mail, carried on horseback, was then established between Scottsville and Parma. In 1831, Parma Centre post-office, with J. A. Patterson postmaster was created; a few years later a semi-weekly mail was delivered. In 1845, Salmon Creek post-office, at Unionville, was established, and in 1847 North Parma post-office, at Bartlett's Corners, with J. McFarland postmaster.
Two years later, Salmon Creek was discontinued; and subsequently William Burridge, postmaster of North Parma, moved up to Unionville with that office, at which place North Parma post-office has since been located. In 1860, a daily stage line was established between Spencerport and Unionville, and with it a daily mail, previous to which a tri-weekly mail was distributed. In 1875, the Ogdensburg, Watertown and Oswego Railroad was constructed through the north part of the town, and the station of Parma located At Unionville. On Thursday, August 10, 1876, it began carrying the mail, —an event memorable as the date of the first mail delivered in town by rail.
History of Monroe County, New York; With Illustrations
Descriptive Of Its Scenery, Palatial Residences,
Public Buildings, Fine Blocks, and Important Manufactories
published by J. B. Lippincott & Co., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 1877